Friday, July 15, 2011

Mmmm... a really good book

For the past few months I have been reading Francis A. Schaeffer's 
How Should We Then Live

Yes.

I said...

the last few months

No, I am not a beginning reader and English is not my second language. I am going at this pace on purpose.  I'm going slowly, taking notes, reading about 1 chapter a week or so. 

 I really enjoy F.A. Schaeffer's literary style. He makes meaty content so enjoyable to read. While reading this book, I feel almost as though someone is present with me explaining the details to me in a way that is both interesting and memorable.

 How Should We Then Live is basically an brief synopsis of history from the beginning of time until it was written in 1976. What I am enjoying so much about this book is the way it brings so much of history together- showing how the past and the present (and hence the future) are interrelated. 

For example:
Were you aware that Voltaire's humanist thoughts and writings were what lead the French to a horrible blood bath with many dead and ultimately left them under the authoritarian rule of Napoleon Bonaparte instead of to an eutopia of human enlightenment as he had hoped? Do you know why?
And did you realize that Machiavelli's book The Prince, a book said to tell how to improve society, is what both Mussolini and Hitler based much of their political practices on?
Well... maybe you don't really care, but I'll tell you... this book is so well written, I bet you'll be saying "I had no idea!" within the few first pages AND that you'll want to continue on reading. Really, I bet you will! ~smile

There are so many interesting treasures in HSWTL. I could go on and on.

But instead, I'll leave the rest for you to discover on your own. 
Happy reading.


No comments:

Post a Comment