Saturday, March 26, 2011

Why I wear skirts a LOT - you might be surprised!

If you know me at all, you know that I wear skirts a LOT, not exclusively, but nearly so. I find it amusing when I overhear someone telling someone else why  I wear skirts a lot. For some reason, many people believe this is an odd trait that needs justification.

I first started wearing skirts a lot years ago when I was going through what I call my "mildly hippie" stage.  I liked to wear Birkenstocks and long flowing type dresses. During this season in my life, I learned how to make soap, candles, and bake bread. ~I still really enjoy these three activities. I had just begun home educating my sons and was into a kind of "earthy" phase. I have always loved the colonial period of history for our nation and that had an influence on my dress as well.


Then came my phase of deep searching in the Bible concerning the subject. I did an extensive study on modesty, fashion, and dress, pertaining to women, in the Bible. I read books on the subject and as many articles, websites, etc. I could find. For example, http://www.momof9splace.com, has many articles on her website concerning the wearing of skirts exclusively.

After an exhaustive (and at times exhausting) study of the topic over the better part of 2 years (and revisiting the topic several times since), I found two qualities in the Bible that stand out for woman's clothing: a woman's clothing should be feminine and modest. Although I know a number of women who are convicted that the Bible teaches we are to wear skirts (or dresses or culottes) only and I GREATLY respect these women (and have at times wished I had the same conviction as them), I found nothing in the Word of God that specifically says "skirts only".  The Word is clear though, a woman's clothing is to be feminine and to be modest.  So, when we wear tight jeans or mini skirts, -both of which I have been guilty of wearing in the past so I don't speak from a "holier than thou" standpoint - let me assure you of that!! --when we wear these or similar clothing, they may be feminine but are they modest??? ---Really?? Something to think about...
Well, the story straight from me, in case you have ever wondered why I wear skirts all the time is.....(and seriously folks, it does amuse me that so many people wonder about this and have asked me... although, I don't mind anyone asking. ~smile)

     ......I like to.


“Why do women want to dress like men when they’re fortunate enough to be women? Why lose femininity, which is one of our greatest charms? We get more accomplished by being charming than we would be flaunting around in pants and smoking. I’m very fond of men. I think they are wonderful creatures. I love them dearly. But I don’t want to look like one. When women gave up their long skirts, they made a grave error…"
                                                                                       ~Tasha Tudor

5 comments:

  1. Great post... I personally would like to burn every skirt and dress I own... I don't feel the least bit comfortable in them! :) So I wear girl pants and enjoy living in what I find comfortable. I have also heard people whisper about the fact that I never wear a dress (although I did end up wearing one to Talitha's wedding... haha)... but I didn't feel comfortable or like what I looked like in the pictures... but that's me! :) I think modesty is the key (for our culture) you might have to adapt in another culture but for where we are I try to be modest (although living in Africa I kind of digressed and wore shirt that were low cut... because that is mainly what is available in the stores and in African culture breasts are for feeding babies not for attraction... now the HIPS... that's a different story!!! Especially if they are good 'birthing' hips!!! haha)... like I said the other night... Jesus wore a dress... and that doesn't mean in our culture men should wear one..! Let's just say to 'dress' or not to 'dress' is not a hill I would likely go to die on :) hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. We each have to do what we feel Christ wants us to do. :) I thought you looked beautiful in the pictures of Talitha's wedding, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there!

    I, too, really searched the Word for a long time regarding 'female attire'. I love to wear skirts because they are distinctly female here in the U.S. and most places in the world, and even if God were to allow us to change our attire from biblical times (robes) and now wear pants, I personally love to go back to what He most likely, originally put us (Eve) in - a robe type garment. I don't draw a fast, hard line, though...I agree with you on that, because I could not find a specific command against changing the *type* of garment, but rather that it must be modest and be distinct from men's attire. When it was written, men and women both wore robes back then, but there was a distinction between them.

    I do wear long shorts when jogging, though, or riding a bike or horseback riding as I find it precariously dangerous to try it in a skirt. I might also wear a loose, short skirt with leggings under it. I know others have worn long skirts and rode horses for centuries, but I feel restricted and unsafe doing so.

    My 14 year old daughter will wear a pair of jeans with a little sundress over them with flip-flops. The sundress/top will cover her backside and most of her thighs. It is a cute, modest look. I'll see if I can add a photo her if you like.

    Take care!

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jill,
    Sorry to not respond sooner, I don't check my blog as often as I should.
    Thank you for your comment...I agree, there are times when it just makes more sense to wear pants/capris. I like the idea that your daughter has for when riding her horse and would love to see a picture.I know a number of young women who ride and it might be an idea they could try. Do you have a blog? If not, you can find me on Facebook.
    Thanks again for your encouraging words!
    God bless,
    ~Penni

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there,

    Yes, I actually do have a blog: http://modestclothingandskirts.blogspot.com/

    My daughter doesn't ride horses on a regular basis or anything, but I actually meant that I was thinking of the times when we might ride (we don't have any at this time but do rent some to ride occasionally). She wears pants or long shorts half the time, as her father does not require skirts. I would love for her to wear skirts more often, but am glad that I have not pushed it, because she likes to wear them sometimes of her own accord. I want it to be in her own heart to do so.

    There is a photo of my daughter and one of her jeans/sundress outfits on my blog on the 'Photos' page.

    I tried to ride my daughter's bike the other day with my skirt on and about killed myself. It was quite comical for the both of us. I am sure it is an acquired skill, or else you have to have the right skirt. Every time my pedal went up - so did my skirt. I will definitely need to get some just-above-the-knee length peasant/tiered skirts with leggings to ride a bike. ;) Or just use my long shorts.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete