Monday, December 13, 2010

Brown

I have been asked several times recently what my favorite color is. It struck me as an odd question. I hadn't been asked that in many years and now in the past month or so, I have been asked that question three times, I think. Each time it has caused me to pause and think about just what my favorite color actually is. Although in the past I have had decided favorites, when asked recently, it took me a few moments to decide. I listed several in response each time, finally settling on one.


During my teens my favorite color was light blue, no other color mattered. And if I could pair it with a darker blue in an outfit, making "two-tone" blue, that was all the better.

During my twenties and thirties, my favorite was dusty rose (mauve).

Now I find I like several colors and at first I was unable to settle on a favorite. 

You see....

I love red - love to WEAR it.

I love blue- love to SEE it  -- in the sky (a not so common occurrence here in Maine this time of year).

I love the greens of mosses and ferns - I love to TOUCH them.

And I love brown. Brown is the sort of color you FEEL. Brown is soft, and warm, yet it is strong (think of the mighty oak.)  It is the color of chocolate. (Yum, yum, yum!) It is such a rich, smooth color.

So I have settled it. ~smile~  

My favorite is brown - not the dull, lifeless brown of a dead leaf, but the deep, rich brown of a chocolate tootsie pop or of brown eyes. The kind of brown that has a sheen and a shine to it. I am crocheting a shawl just this color now, just can't wait till it is done and I can snuggle up in it.








No comments:

Post a Comment