Saturday, October 30, 2010

Longitude, Latitude, Stalagmites and Stalactites


 Today's post is treasure from years ago. The following are a couple of memory tricks that were a blessing when teaching my sons.
One little tip that I received many years ago really helped to solve a problem I had had for years and it simplified learning a basic concept for my children. The concepts of longitude and latitude were always a bit tricky for me to learn. I just couldn’t remember which was which. Then I read this tip. Draw a picture of a ladder on a piece of paper. Label the rungs, latitude and the poles, longitude. Simple and easy to remember! To avoid any confusion, it helps to remember that the “poles are long”.
Another little tip we learned many years ago, probably from an old Bill Nye, the Science episode, deals with stalagmite and stalactites. The stalactites have an extra “t” in them placing them on top. Stalagmites have a “g” in them placing them on the ground. How easy is that? No more confusion!

No comments:

Post a Comment