Friday, September 30, 2011

Apple Crisp

Apple Crisp


This is a recipe I have used for 20+ years. The original called for using less apples, more sugar, and putting this in a 9 x 9 pan. I found that to be too sweet for us, so I modified it into a healthier version.



Begin with 7 -8  large washed apples.

Peel, slice. and core the apples. Put the apple slices in a 9 x 13 pan or equivalent.  This should fill the dish at least half full.

Sprinkle apples with 1/4 c of white sugar. Then sprinkle 1/2 to 1 tsp of cinnamon over the apples as well. I like the cinnamon flavor so I use 1 tsp.

In a large mixing bowl place:
1 stick of butter (only REAL butter will do- both for taste and for your health's sake!)
1 c of brown sugar
3/4 c of flour
1 c of rolled oats (I prefer the quick oats vs the steel cut for texture.)
Cut these together well with a pastry cutter until the mixture is crumbly.

Sprinkle oat mixture evenly over apples and bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until the apples are  tender and have bubbled up into the oat mixture a bit.


Enjoy!


Note: As I prefer to eat this as a breakfast dish as well....many times when I make this I use 10 apples, filling the pan nearly full.

Yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment