Friday, July 23, 2010

The Beauty of the Maine Woods

My favorite lines from a popular movie:


"What you got?"
"Wood."
"What you got?"
"Wood."
"Wanna trade?"



I love those lines from Open Season, as the beavers share their lunch up on the dam.

That is just what I have got here. Wood. Now, I'm not eating it for my lunch, but I sure do love the Maine woods. I love the variations of the color green in the woods and I love the SMELL of the woods. It smells so fresh and almost sweet out in the woods. And nothing compares to the cool dampness of the deep woods on a hot summer day.


As I've mentioned before, I have a little path out in my woods. Around my path, there is one spot were the trees are very thick and low. I was walking there recently on a very hot, humid, and still day - you know the kind when you could just cry for a little whisper of a breeze to blow on your face? As I stepped off my main path to stroll down into the darkness of this little side path, immediately I was hit with the coolness of the spot. It felt damp in there, not the same humid dampness I had just felt, but a cool dampness. It seemed as though it was 10 degrees cooler in there. As I walked along I noticed a little rock about 6 inches by 3 inches in size on the side of the path. Now this rock could actually be huge for all I know, but all I see of it is the aforementioned part. As I saw this little rock, I noticed it was wet, very wet and very cool. Water was all over the surface of this rock, the moss nearby was cool but not wet. It was as though the moisture had come from deep inside the rock itself.

My wet little rock brought to my mind Luke 19:40 "
And he answered and said unto them, I tell you that, if these should hold their peace, the stones would immediately cry out." Although, my situation that day in the woods was obviously very different from Christ's situation the day this statement was made, this is the scripture that came to my mind as I touched this little rock. You see, I love living in Maine, but I hate it when it gets very humid outside and couple that with 90+ degree weather and I REALLY hate it. Seeing this little rock, though, made me think that if I didn't praise the Lord for this day (in spite of the weather) that this little rock surely would praise Him and was doing just that, well, in my mind anyway. The Lord used a little rock to make a point with me that day. The point is... EVERYDAY has a blessing in it. It doesn't matter what your circumstances are, there is always a reason to praise Christ. It was a reminder I needed.

Look around you today and see what little reminder the Lord has of His Goodness for you and don't miss it, you never know, it might just be a plain, old, ordinary rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment